We all have our favorite curriculum. What are the things to consider when you feel like your favorite is not serving your child well? In this discussion, we weigh the pros and cons of math, spelling, composition, and grammar curricula, and help you create a list of priorities in deciding what the coming year means for you in these academic areas.
Find out where you can subscribe to The Demme Learning Show on our show page.
General questions to ask yourself when you feel like your curriculum may not be working:
- What are my educational goals for this child at this point?
- What are my educational priorities for this child at this point?
- Would I be better off replacing this curriculum with something better suited to my child’s needs?
- Am I implementing my current curriculum with fidelity?
Application questions for math:
- Are there gaps in my student’s understanding that are impeding our forward progress?
- Have I left my child too much on their own to be mathematically successful?
- Am I unclear why there are struggles mathematically?
Application questions for grammar:
- Is my student able to apply their lessons?
- Are they increasing the complexity of their sentence constructions?
- Am I satisfied with their writing?
- Am I experiencing pushback from my student?
Application questions for spelling:
- Is my student’s spelling improving?
- Are they proficient with the test, but lack retention?
- Am I seeing their spelling improve in their compositional writing?
Application questions for composition:
- Am I doing composition exercises with your student?
- Is their writing improving?
- Are they willing to produce content for me?
- Am I finding that their skill set is static (not improving)?
We Are Here to Help
If your answer to any of these questions is less than satisfactory, remember that we are happy to help you weigh options. Whether switching to a Demme Learning product or to something else that suits your needs, our team will help you make an honest evaluation for your decisions.Get in Touch